Waffles are fun to make and the flavour combinations are endless. Everyone can think of and make the classic sweet waffles like chocolate, peanut banana bread, blueberry, vanilla and cinnamon-swirl however if you think outside the box savoury waffles can add a great dimension to breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Savoury waffles are a creative replacement for breads and biscuits. Not to mention the goodness that can disguise in them if you choose the ingredients thoughtfully.
Also read: Vegan Quesadilla Recipes
This Herbed Savoury Waffle Recipe is studded with cozy bits of cashews and flavourful herbs like parsley.
Goodnees of vegies wrapped with all those crispy waffle nooks and crannies, these waffles are a delight for all in any meal. This recipes makes about 8 small waffles.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup cooking oil (vegetable, rice bran or sunflower)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp flaxseed meal soaked in 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (soya, rice or almond)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked and crushed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp mixed herb blend or 1/4 cup freshly chopped herbs
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 crushed green chillies (depending on the intensity)
- Toss the dry ingredients
- Add in the wet ingredients, mix well.
- Fold in the fold-ins. Depending on the water content in vegetables you may need to add a bit of water.
- The consistency of the batter should be wet yet slightly thick and chunky.
- Add a few spoonfuls of batter to a hot waffle iron. Cook through.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
The finished waffles shoule be warm and crispy on the outside and chewy on inside.
Serve with sauce or gravy of your choice.
Your comments help me in refining the content of this site. Please spare a moment to express yourself.