These fudgy brownies have just the perfect flavour with the richness of prunes and dates elegantly disguised in cocoa. Kids love anything chocolate so why not use the opportunity to slip in ingredients which may be hard to incorporate otherwise. These chocolate fudge brownies are great in lunch boxes for kids and adults alike. Wait till you start baking them and see the family gravitate to the kitchen.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 180g silken tofu
- 10 pitted dates
- 10 pitted prunes
- Egg replacer: 2 tsp ground flax seeds soaked in 1 cup soy milk (room temperature)
- ¾ cup (all purpose) flour
- 1 ½ (265g) cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup (75gm) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- extra cocoa for dusting
- Blend all the wet ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry bowl and stir well.
- Grease a 20cm square baking tray with vegetable oil.
- Pour the mixture into baking tray spreading it into a thin even layer coating the entire baking tray.
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes or until the edges firm up and the centre cooks through.
- Cool in the tin, dust with cocoa and cut into bars to serve.
- The bars will firm up once they cool especially when they are chilled in the fridge.
Also read: Raw Vegan Choc Mint Slice
TIP: For thicker brownies use a smaller dish and bake for longer (do the skewer test to check if cooked).