Raw vegan recipes are fairly easy to put together and provide loads of nutritive value. They often require nuts or seeds to give the final dish a bit of substance. Nuts and seeds have rich in omega3 oils an protein. The richness of nuts coupled with the tanginess off sundried tomatoes, herbs, olive oil and herbs make a heavenly filling for the ribbons of bland vegetables like zucchini, carrots and cucumbers. The ribbons are simple to make using a common vegetable peeler. The only thing to remember is to run the peeler in one stroke to get a nice long ribbon. I have a U-shaped peeler with crinkle blade which makes the job quite easy.
When I tried the raw sushi rolls at home the first time, I left the plate on the bench top just before my sons came home. Trust me, the whole plate was cleaned in no time much to my surprise because one of sons would not touch zucchini in any shape or form. However after he finished eating raw sushi I asked if he realised what he’d eaten. His answer was that it was nicely packagedJ. This raw vegan recipe might help introduce some abandoned veggies in your kitchen.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes Serves 20
- 2 zucchini (courgette), sliced with vegetable peeler
- 2 carrot, sliced with vegetable peeler
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ red capsicum (pepper), roughly chopped
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Handful of flatleaf parsley
- 1 tsp lemon or lime zest
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- ½ cup beetroot batons
- Blitz all ingredients except zucchini, carrots an cucumber in foods processor intil a coarse paste forms.
- Make ribbons of zucchini, carrots an cucumbers with a vegetable peeler or mandolin.
- Lay vegetable slices on a flat surface.
- Place a teaspoonful of mixture at the end of each vegetable slice and flatten it to cover and inch or so of the vegetable slice.
- Place a beetroot baton in the middle of mixture.
- Gently start rolling the vegetable slice from the mixture end until complete. Ensure the slice is wrapped tightly all along.
- Refrigerate for an hours for the mixture to set.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce as an appetizer.
So refreshing is the raw sushi, I can actually feel the difference in energy levels every time I eat raw. The nutrients an enzymes are so potent when produce is eaten in its natural form. I used organic zucchini and cucumbers in the recipe which also helps with raw food recipes, but not to worry if you can’t get organic vegetables. You can soak the normal vegetables in water (2 litres) with quarter a cup of apple cider vinegar which helps get rid of any residual pesticides etc.
The filling in this recipe is quite a versatile base for many raw vegan dishes such as dips, pasta sauce or sandwiches. You can modify the consistency by adding a bit of apple juice and blending it to a smoother paste according to taste.