What Is Gluten?
Gluten is a protein which is comprised from two particular ingredients. Those two protein ingredients are gliadin and glutenin. These two proteins are held together through the use of starch and formulate the protein product known as gluten.
Often, the gluten is mixed with other grains that are from the grass family. Examples of those types of grains can include wheat, barley and rye.
The value of adding gluten to these types of products is that it is an additional source of nutritional protein. This is significant as generally the gluten is added to products that aren’t generally high in protein. This process helps add protein and aids in the overall nutritional process.
Products Containing Gluten
There are many products on the market today that have gluten added as part of the ingredients to the product. Additionally, most of those products on the market today that contain gluten are products that are manufactured from grains such as wheat, barley and rye.
For example many bagels contain gluten. This is an important ingredient because gluten creates the chewyness that most bagels provide to the consumer. In addition, many other types of bread contain gluten.
Also, some beers that are brewed contain gluten. This is because beer can be brewed using barley which is one of the grains that the beer may contain.
A Variety Of Gluten Free Diet Recipes
However, it is important to note that some individuals may not tolerate gluten. This is because they may have an allergy or intolerance to this substance. In addition, some recent studies have indicated that there may be a link to other maladies when an individual is allergic to gluten. Some of those maladies could include celiac disease, constipation, bloating, bone or joint pain, itchy skin, lesions, etc.
Therefore, it is important to investigate gluten free diet recipes for those individuals who may have an allergy to gluten. There are many gluten free diet recipes available on this.
One other important fact to remember when looking to prepare gluten free diet recipes is that the ingredients themselves used to prepare the recipe must be free of this ingredient. Here’s one of my favourite recipes which requires a dehydrator. However if you do not have a dehydrator, you could use oven at low temperature to create the same.
- 2 cups roughly chopped carrots
- 1 cup dry sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds, ground (after grinding, equals 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp diced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (*to be added after processing)
- 1/4 cup dry cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Add only the carrots to the food processor, and process until the carrots are nearly a paste.
- Next add in the sunflower seeds, flax seeds, garlic, and spices and process until well mixed.
- Finally, add the onion and parsley, making sure to scrape the sides as needed to mix everything together well.
- Move to a large bowl, and add the sesame seeds by hand.
- Roll 1 tbsp at a time into falafel balls.
- Place these balls directly onto dehydrator sheets and dehydrate for 2-12 hours depending on how moist you prefer the inside to be. The longer you dehydrate, the more crisp the outside becomes.
- Serve with Lemon Garlic aioli.
- Process the cashews, garlic, and salt in a coffee grinder or spice grinder until finely ground.
- Remove from the food processor, add to bowl with the lemon juice, and whip with a fork.
- OR you can turn this aioli into a fabulous dressing by blending 2/3 cup cashews soaked in 2/3 cup water with 1/2 of a preserved lemon in a blender.