No matter what the weather we have to constantly keep our immune system the strongest to keep nasty bugs at bay. Fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamin C which is retained to highest level without exposure to heat. Crunchy and refreshing watercress salad is loaded with tonnes of nutrients which is easy to digest. Indulge with easy to assemble salad recipe and boost your defenses. What a combination with watercress, sweet red capsicums, cherry tomatoes, mint and walnuts.
Vinegar of some sort or the other is nearly crucial to every good salad dressing. And the berries with their vibrant colours and sour sweet flavours are the jewels to any salad specially when combined with contrasting colours. For the dressing you can process raspberries in food processor or blender but allow the fresh crunch of the watercress be the feature and avoid the seeds. This is a pretty tangy dressing so if you’ve got a bit of a sweet tooth or are maybe serving it to some picky eaters, You could always add a bit of granulated sugar to smooth it out the tang.
Keep it in an airtight jar in the fridge so it is ready whenever the craving for a salad hits. All you have to do is shake the dressing and pour.
- 4 cups watercress leaves with some stem
- 3/4 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup julienned red capsicum bell pepper
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup raw walnut kernels
- 1 punnet (125g) fresh raspberries, washed
- 1 tablespoon Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste (optional)
- Push berries through a fine mesh strainer into a small bowl, first mash with a fork and then with the back of a spoon to push all the fruit pulp through. This should make about 1/2 cup of raspberry puree.
- Whisk in Pompeian Red Wine, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar if desired.
- Store in fridge until ready to use or for up to one week.
- Toss together all ingredients except walnuts in a large salad bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad
- Serve garnished with walnut kernels
Note: The oil hardens in the fridge, so make sure to leave the dressing out on the counter for about 30 minutes prior to use.