Everyone loves these yummy stalwarts of any party scene especially when you know they’re packed with goodness of vegetables. Quite easy to make, these can be made ahead of time and frozen uncooked and you simply put them in the oven an hour before the party. The flavours of the herbs and fresh chilli, trust me any meat eater would think to themselves why do people think vegans are boring. We say this from our experience. Kids absolutely drool on these for after school snack, you know you’ve done the right thing when you see them eating these over pre-packaged snacks. These party rolls are a tasteful way to get veggies into anyone’s meals.
- 2 small carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 gm potatoes boiled and coarsely mashed
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley or coriander, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 fresh chilli finely chopped or 1 tsp dried chilli flakes or
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1 tbsp capers
- ½ cup sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp each ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 flax egg
- 1 flax egg for eggwash
- 3 sheets vegan puff pastry (see note)
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 250 gm non-dairy yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup mint, minced coarsely chopped, plus extra to serve To serve:
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus extra
- Preheat oven to 180C. line baking tray with baking/parchment paper.
- In a small non-stick pan sauté onion in olive oil until translucent for 2 mins and set aside.
- Drain the zucchini by squeezing it and leaving it to rest in a colander.
- Place all filling ingredients except potatoes, carrots and zucchini in a food processor and process until they are finely chopped. Add flax egg, zucchini, carrots and blitz until finely chopped. Add potatoes until well combined. Note: you may want to combine potatoes and the chopped ingredients in a bowl if the food processor is not big enough.
- Let the mixture rest in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay out 3 sheets of puff pastry on a dry surface, cutting each in half lengthwise to create 6 rectangles.
- Divide the mixture into 6 parts. Place each along the middle of each half of the pastry. Fold each edge lengthways in the middle and overlap a centimetre. Gently press the overlapped pastry with finger to seal.
- Turn the filled pastry upside down to allow sealed part facing down on the work top.
- Repeat for all 6 half pastry sheets.
- Brush egg wash over each filled pastry and sprinkle poppy seeds over it.
- Cut lengths into 6 small mini rolls.
- Place on baking trays lined with baking paper and bake until golden and cooked through (25-30 minutes).
Meanwhile for yoghurt sauce, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and stir to combine. Serve scattered with extra mint and rind with hot party rolls.
Note: Makes 36 party rolls. We prefer to use the reduced fat vegan puff pastry which is also as flaky as the full fat puff pastry.
As always, you feedback is super important to us in order to a better content for the readers. Please leave comments below.