YES these indulgent Mocha Almond Fudge Brownies are vegan!..
Rich, moist and filled with fudgy chocolate flavour these brownies have accents of coffee and almond. A delicious texture and flavour depth to these must-have brownies make them a winner in lunch boxes, picnics, dessert or as a snack with hot beverage for all ages. After all they are packed with goodness of wholesome ingredients such as flaxseeds, cacao, coconut oil and almonds.
Mocha Almond Fudge Brownie Recipe
Fills one 12 x 16 inch baking sheet (high-rimmed) and of course they are VEGAN.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp melted virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- egg replacer: 1 1/2 cups soy milk (room temperature) + 2 tsp ground flax seeds
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or substitute with other flour(s)
- 1 1/2 cups castor sugar (organic)
- 3/4 cup cacao powder (same thing as cocoa)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup almonds (sliced or whole)
- sliced almonds + instant coffee + sugar (all optional but I love them!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Blend all the wet ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry bowl and stir well.
- Grease a large high rimmed baking sheet with coconut oil.
- Pour the mixture into baking sheet spreading it into a thin even layer coating the entire baking sheet.
- Add the instant coffee, almonds and sugar over top of the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 22 minutes – or until the edges firm up and the centre cooks through. The bars will firm up once they cool because of solidification coconut oil especially when they are chilled in the fridge.
- Allow the bars to cool. Slice and serve warm or chilled.
TIP: For thicker brownies use a smaller dish and bake for longer (do the skewer test to check if cooked).