I’ve been pondering food matches made in heaven today. Everyone’s idea of heaven is different, and not everyone is convinced that it even exists. So, let’s think culinary heaven. Imagine if you were to attend a food wedding, and replace the bride and groom with a food pair so delectable it is obvious that their sole purpose of being delivered to us on this earth, from all the way up in heaven, is to be devoured together. I think you would see apple and cinnamon walking down the aisle together. Then I thought tomato and basil were a pretty perfect match too. The list continues as strawberries and balsamic came to mind, as did bananas and nut butter. All matches made in heaven. My mouth continued to water at the thought of an avocado and lemon combination, and I continued to dream as I saw pumpkin and pine nuts floating down the aisle together, hand in hand.
As I pondered a little more, two items, or ingredients, and their absolute couple compatibility blew me away! We have berries and coconut, for the win! The sweet, yet tart quality of the beautiful deep red and blue berries, combined with the sweet, full, creamy goodness of coconut, and there you have it: a perfect match.
Let’s transform these two lovebirds into a vegan slice and you really do have a touch of paradise. My Vegan Coconut Berry Slice will be hard to resist, rest assured!
- 100g coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (220g) coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 cup (150g) wholemeal/spelt flour
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 100 grams 100% Fruit berry Jam
- Zest from ½ lime
- 1 cup coconut shreds
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 tbs maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 19cm x 29cm slice pan with baking paper, allowing the 2 long sides to overhang.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the coconut oil and coconut sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add flax egg and beat to combine.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown.
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor then blend until you get a smooth thick jammy consistency.
- Spread the mix evenly over the base.
- Combine the coconut, arrowroot powder and almond meal in a large mixing bowl then add the oil and maple syrup and mix it through with your fingertips until it is evenly distributed and resembles coarse bread crumbs. Alternately just throw the lot into your food processor and pulse until it's combined and evenly distributed and looks crumbly. Don't overdo it or it will turn into dough.
- Lightly sprinkle onto the fruit filling then bake for 20-25 minutes ensuring that the top doesn't burn. Let cool completely before slicing.
This little slice of heaven is not only fun to prepare, in three simple steps, but is baked in only 20 minutes. The challenges you may face will be waiting for it to cool to devour, and leaving some behind for someone else to try! I always make a double batch and gift the second slice. Cut into squares, wrap with your favorite pink paper and ribbon and you’re sharing your own little piece of heaven with a friend!