It’s winter here and honestly the thought of eating anything cold puts me off. Fruits for example, my family would literally go fruit picking if there wasn’t fruit in the house. Apple crumble is a favourite dish in my household and we eat it beyond convention, breakfast, snack, dessert or even as a meal sometimes.
I have been experimenting veganizing the humble crumble in many different ways and tbh all were really tasty but the last experiment (this recipe) yielded a super tasty crumble that was demolished by the family in an hour out of the oven.
Also read: Rustic Vegan Apple Berry Cake
It has since become my “go to” recipe for apple berry crumble, incredibly easy and delicious! The aroma from the oven permeating through the whole house, the crunch of the almonds and walnuts and he juicy plump berries make an absolute pleasure for all senses.
Preparation: 40 minutes Serves: 8
- 1 kg (6 large) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into one inch cubes
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup firmly coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 120g melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 cup wholemeal or spelt flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 60g (1/2 cup) slivered almonds
- 60g (1/2 cup) chopped walnut
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla essence
- Dairyfree Vanilla ice cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Combine apple, cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice in a heavy based saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are just tender.
- Transfer to a 6cm-deep 10x10 inch or similar ovenproof dish.
- Evenly spread frozen berries over the apple mix.
- Make vegan crumble topping:
- Place flour, sugar, cinnamon, oats, almonds and walnuts in a large bowl and mix until just combined.
- Mix vanilla bean paste/essence and almond butter with coconut oil using a fork. Pour over dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Sprinkle evenly over apple berry mix.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with dairy free ice cream or custard. Delicious on its own though
The overall process right from peeling apples to munching on crunchy crumble is a divine experience.
Although the apple crumble keeps well in refrigerator for couple of days, best to bake it when you want to eat it, doesn’t take long. You could prepare all ingredients in advance but always good to eat something fresh. Don’t just limit the crumble for dessert only – it is perfect and wholesome dish for breakfast.
Tip 1: if you don’t want to use berries add a bunch of chopped rhubarb to apples while stewing. No need for lemon as rhubarb will have its own tartness.
Tip 2: Replace half the quantity of apples with any variety of pears for variation.
Tip 3: Nuts such as pecans, macadamias, hazelnuts and pine nuts are a perfect substitute for almonds and walnuts.
Your comments are highly valuable and will help improve the quality of the content on the website.