The word “lecker” across many different languages means the same thing – “YUM!”, deriving from the German word “lecken” which means “to lick”! You will find yourself licking your lips and exclaiming “YUM!” once you sink your teeth into one of these Swiss LECKERli cookies.
I was inspired by the excitement and bustling energy that comes every year with the Australian Open and all the tennis superstars gracing our shores. Getting creative in the kitchen, this traditional Swiss cookie was baked in honour of the one and only Roger Federer !
Sugar and spice, and all things nice! The delectable sweetness of a coconut sugar and maple combo, fused with tantalising spices creates this mouth-watering cookie…I challenge you to stopping at just one! I find these to be the perfect accompaniment to a relaxing cup of Chai mid-morning or if I have a busy day ahead of me I pack a couple for an on-the-go scrumptious snack. When I have a quiet moment any other time of day to put my feet up and take some time out I find myself reaching for these sweet and spicy treats. I hope you find these goodies as yummy as I do!
- 220gm rice Malt Syrup
- 150gm Coconut sugar
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of clove powder
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 50gm ground candied orange peel
- 50gm ground candied lemon peel
- 100gm ground almonds
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/8 cup cherry or cranberry juice
- 300gm all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75gm icing mixture
- 3 tbsp extra cherry/cranberry juice
- Put rice malt syrup, coconut sugar, cinnamon, clove powder and nutmeg in a pan, heat up slowly, then remove from stove.
- Add candied orange and lemon peel, almonds and lemon zest. Stir until mixed evenly.
- Add juice, flour and baking powder, knead on a table to form a soft dough.
- While the dough is still warm, roll it out in between two greased baking sheets approximately 5mm thick.
- Let it rest overnight in a dry place.
- Place the baking sheet in the middle of the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes in pre-heated oven at 220 °C (430 °F).
- Mix icing mixture and extra juice or water, frost dough immediately.
- Cut in small pieces 5 x 3 cm. Remove them from the baking sheets and let cool.
Check out other delectable recipes such as Vegan Almond Macaron on the site and please remember to write comments below. Let us know what recipes you would like to see next, we will happily develop and post your requests wherever possible. You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.