Beetroots lift the presence of any dish specially when contrasted with other vibrant colours on the plate that pleasantly feeds human’s most dominant sense. The sweetness of the beet lends to a great variation in flavours without addition of any sweetener. Cashews and seeds give the dip the creamy and nutty feel to this dip.
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked for 2-4 hours
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds soaked for 2-4 hours
- 2 carrots, chopped into pieces
- 2 medium beets
- 1 bulb fennel (remove top stringy bits)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Extra olive oil for roasting vegies
- Wash and soak cashews and sunflower seeds in a bowl covered with enough water so that they are completely covered. Set aside for at least 2 hours although overnight is even better.
- Place the chopped carrots, beets and fennel in an oven proof dish and sprinkle with pinch of salt and olive oil. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked. Allow them to cool.
- Put roasted vegies, soaked cashews, sunflower seeds, sea salt and lime juice in the food processor and process until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- You might need to stop the food processor and scrape down the sides intermittently to get smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate for a cold dip however this dish is delicious served warm. Don’t forget to garnish with topping of your choice. I used the store bough vegan feta. Micros greens look really pretty too. This can be made ahead and kept in the frig for up to a week.