If yours is one of those households where dessert is a must after meals, then look no further. This guilt-free wonder raw vegan caramel slice is a heavenly experience after every meal or with a cup of your favourite beverage. Of course, watch out for those who are intolerant to nuts.
This truly is the Best-Ever Caramel Slice – the thick layer of delicious dairy free caramel is sandwiched between a coconut and almond biscuit base and lush dark chocolate. Not only does it taste good, it’s bursting with anti-oxidants, omega3 and is protein rich.
Also read: Vegan Chocolate Fudge Brownies
Sugar free, dairy free and no nasties added, this beauty is easy to make however does require preparation of three layers individually each of which should be made with love for the best result. Who won’t like a dessert that’s oozing with the goodness of natural superfood ingredients? I mean, just check the ingredients and decide for yourself.
- 3/4 cup Almonds
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut
- 6 fresh dates, pitted
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup. Almond butter (I use homemade almond butter, store bought is fine too)
- 12 fresh dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- Place the almonds, dates, coconut and coconut oil in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, appx for 1–2 minutes. Press the mixture into the base of a 20cm x 20cm lightly greased baking tin lined with non-stick baking paper and refrigerate until set.
- Place the dates, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt in a food processor and process for until smooth, appx 1–2 minutes. Spread over the prepared base and return to the fridge.
- Place the cacao, rice malt syrup and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth, appx for 2–3 minutes. Pour the cacao mixture over the date caramel and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Freeze for 30 minutes before slicing into 4cm x 10cm bars to serve. This is an important step otherwise the slice is quite sticky when slicing and makes uneven looking slices.
Tip: The caramel slice needs to be served chilled. If you prefer a harder set, keep in the freezer until ready to serve. It can be made upto a week ahead and kept in the freezer.
The nutty, sweet, salted caramel and silky chocolate topping, I am drooling while writing this post. Please remember to leave a comment below as it helps us provide the types of recipes our visitors are looking for.