Let me set the scene for you…you find yourself traveling back in time to the 1950s and you’re transported to an all American diner for a good friend’s birthday celebration. You’re wearing your favourite canary yellow poodle skirt (gals) or your best grey argyle cardigan (guys) and you’re ordering burgers and vanilla milkshakes only to served by by giggling waitresses whizzing round on roller skates. The speakers are loud, blaring out ‘Hound Dog’, then ‘Rock Around the Clock’, followed by ‘Blue Sued Shoes’.
Sound fun? Sure does! But let’s bring ourselves back to 2017 and with all the nutrition knowledge we have gained in recent decades, we now know that ultimately this scenario screams fun, but calorie laden fun at that and is not so fun for anyone’s waistline, skinny jeans or cholesterol levels!
Also read: Tofu Burger
Nutritious burgers may sound like an oxymoron to some of you, but for those of you in the know, I would like to introduce you to my Indian Curry Veggie Burgers. If you think you might need a little convincing on the nutrition content, watch and be amazed!
The burger patties contain so much veggie goodness, with the perfect combination of potatoes, spinach, peas, coriander and spring onions, set off by the spicy curry powder and cumin, and boosted by some lemon juice tang! Drizzle with creamy tahini and add your favorite greens and sliced onion and you have the tastiest, healthiest burger patty around!
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled whole, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups spinach, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1-3 tsp. sriracha (or to taste)
- 4 burger buns
- greens of choice
- sliced onion
- Place potatoes, spinach, peas, coriander, garlic and spring onions into food processor bowl and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add breadcrumbs, chickpea flour, lemon juice, ground flax seeds, 1 tablespoon olive oil, curry powder, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pulse again until well mixed.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties.
- Coat a large skillet with remaining olive oil and place over medium heat. Working in batches if necessary, place patties in skillet and cook until browned on bottoms, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on opposite sides, about 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve
- Stuff buns with patties and top with tahini sauce, greens and sliced onions.
- Replace the sugary vanilla milkshake from the 1950s with a luscious green smoothie from 2017 and you have yourself one fun, healthy meal! A favorite for a Sunday afternoon barbecue with mates, or maybe for some guilt free comfort food on a Monday evening, or simply when you're recreating your own all American burger joint scene with a nutritious twist!