I invented this nutty lentil rice dish for my family. When I come home from work and want to cook a warming and filling meal packed with nutrients.
This simple and easy vegan recipe is ready in 30 minutes. Being vegan, if you have certain dry ingredients handy in your pantry like lentils and rice, and a few basic vegetables like tomatoes, beans, onions and carrots, you will find many delicious recipes here which you can create with very little effort.
2 tbsp oil (vegetable or olive)
1 medium to large onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic – chopped
1 green chilli – finely chopped
2 large tomatoes – washed and chopped
1 cup lentils – washed in colander
1.5 cups rice – washed and soaked in 3cups of water for 15 minutes
1 cup green beans – washed, each bean cut into 3-4 pieces
10 raw cashews – chopped
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin seeds
1. Place saucepan on medium size stove.
2. Add oil and cumin seeds, stir until seeds brown (NOT black) and release their intense aromatic flavour.
3. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
4. Throw in cashews and chopped garlic and sauté until cashews brown lightly.
5. Add chopped chilli and sauté for 30 seconds.
6. Stir-in chopped tomatoes and cook until soften.
7. Add beans and stir for few seconds.
8. Add lentils and stir for 1 min.
9. Add soaked rice and the water together.
10. Season with salt and give a stir so all ingredients mingle together.
11. Cook on high heat until water starts to bubble. Cover saucepan with tight lid.
12. Turn the heat to its lowest.
13. Cook for 20 minutes.
Serve with garden salad drizzled with homemade vinaigrette dressing.