Daal is a term used for a preparation of dried lentils, peas or beans which may or may not have been stripped of their outer hulls and split. Chana daal is the hulled and split form of a variety of chickpeas. This bean looks just like yellow split peas, but is quite different because it doesn’t readily boil down to mush. This recipe has low glycemic index and can be substituted for garbanzo beans in just about any recipe. Here’s a recipe that is delicious and wholesome in nutrients.
Chana Daal and Zucchini Stew
- 1 cup (250 gms.) Split Gram (Chana Daal)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp, grated ginger
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 can tomatoes (crushed)
- 2 zucchini thickly sliced
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or flakes
- 2/3 tsp turmeric powdered
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 Bayleaf
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cup water
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- Wash Chana Daal 3-4 times with water and keep it in a bowl. Add enough water to cover Chana Daal and soak for half hour. Drain water.
- In a thick bottom pan and add 2 cup water, Chana Daal, turmeric, chilli powder or flakes and coriander to it and cook it over medium-high heat. Bring it to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover it with a lid and simmer for about 45-50 minutes or until Chana Daal is soft.
- Add oil in a separate large frying pan over medium heat. After a minute add cumin seeds, cloves and bay leaf. Stir spices until aroma of the spices releases (15-30 sec).Then add onion, ginger, garlic and cook for about 4-5 minutes stirring continuously until golden brown.
- Stir in sliced zucchini and tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Chana Daal mixture to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook until the zucchini softens (5 minutes appx).
- Now add garam masala, stir well and further cook for 2 minutes. Then, turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, pulao or flat bread.
This dish keeps well in refrigerator for 2-3 days however freshly cooked Chana Daal.