As vegans we want to enjoy different varieties of cooking recipes that meat eaters do. I have been looking at recipes and basically veganising them by replacing dairy products with plant based substitutes. French toast being such a favourite, I have tried various recipes and this one is to die for. I have shared with friends and they love it because it doesn’t have the eggy flavour the regular French toasts do. The coconut milk gives the French toasts a creamy taste which beautifully complements the berry compote. You can use vegan yoghurt or cashew cream as a topping.
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 1 can (375 ml) light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 cup berries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Cashew cream to serve (optional)
- Add chia seeds and coconut milk in a mixing bowl and mix with a spoon to prevent clumping. Let the mixture stand for 20-30 minutes until gelatinous.
- Add maple syrup and cinnamon powder and whisk lightly.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the bread slices in chia mixture one at a time until soaked lightly.
- Cook each toast for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Cook all 4 slices simultaneously in the pan.
- Serve with berry compote and cashew cream with a sprinkle of shredded coconut.
- Place two tablespoons of cold water, sugar and berries in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to the boil and cook for 3 minutes until mixture thickens slightly and set aside