Vegetables like broccoli are much more appetizing when tastefully presented in a visually attractive manner.
Broccoli has an impressive way of offering multitude of benefits to your health like many other vegetables. When you include it in your meals, you’re getting dozens of super-nutrients that support optimal health for entire body. This recipe uses unique combination of Japanese ingredients to tantalize the most stubborn taste buds.
Miso paste is made of fermented soy, barley or rice malt. It has a reputation in the Far East as one of the natural most healing foods because of the fermentation which aids in digestion and overcoming acidity. Mirin is a condiment used in Japanese cooking which is kind of sweet rice wine similar to sake. It gives glazed appearance, sweetness and distinct flavor to broccoli in this dish. The combination of miso and mirin combined with sesame seeds creates a perfect marriage of acidity, saltiness, sweetness and nuttiness.
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1tbsp yellow miso paste
- 2 tbsp. mirin
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 500g broccoli, cut length ways to large florets
- Mix miso, mirin and stock in a bowl until miso paste dissolves.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the sesame seeds and dry roast, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes or until light brown.
- Throw in ginger and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add miso mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Brush broccoli with vegetable oil on both sides and char grill on barbecue or stove-top skillet for 3 minutes on each side until tender-crisp.
- Place charred broccoli in a shallow bowl and pour miso sesame sauce.
- Serve hot with stir-fried noodles or rice.