Avocados are rich in vitamins A, C, and E and are full of other nutrients like potassium. They contain folate, monosaturated fats and antioxidants. Regular consumption of avocado helps us in many ways. Here are just 10 of them.
Enjoy this power & vitamin packed pita bread with a gorgeous green colour. The creaminess of the Avocado in the bread keeps the it soft and give them that wonderful buttery texture and flavour. These are great for picnics and journeys and to make-ahead and save for later.
Prep Time: 5 min
Rest Time: 15-20 min
Makes: 15 Pitas (approx)
- 2 Medium Ripe Avocados
- 3 tsp Lemon or lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 Green Chillies minced
- 1/3 cup chopped Coriander (Cilantro
- 1/3 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- I tbsp Oil
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour appx.
- Additional Oil for cooking
- Additional Flour for dusting
- Mash the flesh to a smooth paste with a fork or with a potato masher.
- Mix in Lemon Juice, Salt, Garlic, Green Chillies, Coriander, Roasted Cumin Powder & Oil. Combine.
- Add Flour in little at a time and incorporating to form a dough.
- You may need a little less or more that the 2 cups of flour – add as needed.
- Once the dough comes together, knead for an additional 1 minute.
- Drizzle a few drops of Oil over the dough ball to coat. Cover and allow the dough to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Once you are ready to make the pitas, give the dough one more quick knead.
- Heat up a skillet or flat frying pan on medium heat and start dividing the dough and forming balls – total
- Roll each dough ball with a rolling pin to 6-7 inch diameter using flour to dust.
- Place the rolled pita on the hot skillet.
- Move the pita and make sure it does not stick.
- Allow it to cook until the cooking side starts to change colour and little bubbles form.
- Flip and smear oil with pastry brush. Cook until brown spots start to appear on the other side as well.
- Flip it again and press gently with a spatula and smear oil on other side.
- Remove pita off the griddle place in grease proof paper.
- Serve hot with vegan yogurt and pickle.
Tips: Make a big batch and freeze the dough when avocados are in season. Avocado pita can be used for making wraps and are great for kids lunch boxes.