This cosy favourite is a classic dessert that’s perfect for warming wintery evenings or soothing long summer days.
The humble rice pudding recipe satisfies every palate without the overload of calories and can be frequently enjoyed as a guilt free gastronomic experience.
- 1L (4 cups) vegan milk (soy or almond)
- 165g (3/4 cup) medium-grain rice
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- Mango Coulis:
- 2 cups cubes fresh mango
- 1 tsp white sugar or more to taste
- Basic Rice Pudding:
- Place the milk and washed rice in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add almond meal, sugar and cardamom powder. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Boil for a further 2 minutes or until the rice is soft and the mixture thickens. The rice can be broken into smaller granules by running the stick blender for few seconds for a smoother texture.
- For a winter warming experience serve immediately. For a chilled version allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for few hours. Serve with mango coulis and garnished with flaked almonds.
- Prepare mango coulis by pureeing the mango with sugar until smooth. If too thick, add a teaspoon of water at a time, using just enough to make pourable. Drizzle over rice pudding when served.
Variations to Serve:
Almost every cuisine has a version of rice pudding although with normal milk. But the vegan version is just as tasty if not tastier.
Commonly rice pudding is enjoyed infused with vanilla and nutmeg. Some of the other combinations are:
Rice pudding with lychees
Caramel Coconut rice pudding
Citrus rice pudding
Fluffy banana rice pudding
Rose water rice pudding
Rice pudding with apricot compote
Cinnamon spiced rice-pudding
Rich in flavour and wonderfully creamy in texture, this satisfying rice pudding can be transformed in many ways into a modern version of a popular old favourite.